Dame Judi Dench In Battle To Save Eyesight




The actress spoke candidly about her condition which is a disease of the retina that causes a progressive loss of eyesight, and said she can no longer see faces in front of her. Macular degeneration causes a progressive loss of eyesight.
She said, "I can't read scripts any more before because of the trouble with my eyes and so somebody comes and reads them to me, like telling me a story."
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of sight loss in the western world. The result is the loss of the centre of the visual field due to damage to a part of the retina called the macular, most commonly affects people over 50 and affects almost 240,000 people in the UK.
The disease can take two forms, either "dry", the most common kind which affects the eyes gradually, or "wet", which comes on quickly.
But she said she was determined not to let the condition beat her.
She added: "You get used to it. I've got lenses and glasses and things and very bright light helps. I can do a crossword if it's bright sunshine, but if a cloud comes out the next minute I can't see anything."